Friday, October 1, 2010

Evaluating.

"The books are never about what you think they are about. Survivor is really about our education system because I feel, more often than not, kids are sort of taught or trained to be the best possible cogs in some big corporate machine. They're not really taught in an empowered way that they can start their own company so that they can create and run their own lives. They are sort of taught to be just good employees, to just fit in." -- Chuck Palahniuk

Somedays i feel like this is more true than false. At my college, everything is about "The Industry". When you work in "The Industry" and you need to learn "The Industry" standards.. etc.. It's just frustrating that they are basically promoting to work under someone. But you know what? I want to be on top. I want to be in charge and I want my ideas to be my own! (This post is less about fashion and more about ranting.)

And I need some advice. I just recently was hired at a big retailer chain store, which I'm okay with right now cause I need rent money (haha). But they want me to work all holidays, including Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. My family and hometown are 3 1/2 hours away. I am just way too close to them to miss these important days. I think I'm going to have to quite, but its so frustrating cause I've needed a job for so long. One suggestion was to work there for the money until the holiday and then quit, but i honestly would feel so guilty if they spent time and energy training me, and then I just up and quit.. what should I do?

Cat

(ps. i promise TOMORROW you'll get a fashion post :)

No comments: